Let Us Talk

April 23, 2009

Condoleezza Rice and Dick Cheney Irrevocably Linked To Water-boarding

waterboarding  A Senate Intelligence Committee document has revealed that when Condoleezza Rice was Bush’s National Security Adviser she personally verbally approved the CIA’s request to use water-boarding to subject alleged al-Qaida terrorist Abu Zubaydah to water-boarding in July 2002.  This is the earliest known decision by a Bush administration official to approve use of water-boarding. 

The report gives a detailed timeline of how the CIA’s violent “enhanced interrogation” techniques was conceived and approved at the highest levels in the Bush White House.  The timeline also shows that Rice played a greater role than she admitted last fall in written testimony to the Senate Armed Services Committee.

While there have long been suspicions that the White House was involved in the decision, the actions have until now been blamed on the CIA and unnamed officials at the Pentagon.

The report describes a meeting between Dick Cheney, then-CIA Director George Tenet and Dr. Rice in July 2002. The Secretary of State “advised that the CIA could proceed with its proposed interrogation” of alleged al-Qaeda terrorist Abu Zubaydah, the report said.

In 2003, the CIA briefed Dr. Rice, Dick Cheney and John Ashcroft — the then Attorney General — on the use of water-boarding and other methods including week-long sleep deprivation, forced nudity and the use of stress positions. The Senate report says that officials “reaffirmed that the CIA program was lawful and reflected administration policy”.

CIA memos released by President Obama’s administration last week revealed that Mr. Zubaydah was water-boarded at least 83 times in the course of one month and Khalid Sheikh Mohammad who claimed to have planned the September 11 attacks was water-boarded183 times in one month.

Experts have said that water-boarding is so horrific that even the most hardened terrorists have not been able to stand it for more than a minute without begging to talk.

(more…)

Advertisements

July 25, 2008

$5,000 REWARD For Condoleezza Rice’s Arrest In New Zealand!

 New Zealand university students offered a reward on Friday for anyone making a citizens’ arrest of visiting US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice as an alleged war criminal.

Rice was due to arrive in Auckland late Friday ahead of talks set for Saturday with Prime Minister Helen Clark and Foreign Minister Winston Peters.

Auckland University Student Association (AUSA) president David Do said the reward of $5,000 NZ ($3,725 US) was being offered for Rice’s arrest for her role in “overseeing the illegal invasion and continued occupation” of Iraq.

“We thought we’d give our students a chance to make a dent in their student loans and work for global justice at the same time,” Do said.

Police said any attempt to make a citizen’s arrest could lead to “very serious consequences”.

“I would strongly advise the association representatives who’ve put this challenge out, to withdraw it immediately so as to avoid being caught up in something much bigger than they may have anticipated,” said Auckland district commander, Superintendent Brett England.

Rice is due to leave New Zealand on Sunday for Samoa, where she will hold talks with foreign ministers from the 16-nation Pacific Islands Forum.

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.