Tonight, five weeks into his presidency, President Obama will address a joint session of Congress. Although this is not an official State of the Union address, it is an opportunity for him to talk to Americans about the challenges our country faces and his plans for the future.
President Obama has been working really hard to get America back on track. In five weeks he has done more that will help rebuild America than George W. Bush did in four years.
He has already taken important steps to improve our lives and the lives of our children including:
- signing a $787 billion stimulus package on February 17 that will help our citizens, states and municipalities
- signing a housing-rescue plan
- reversing the Bush Administration policies that have impeded state efforts to provide health coverage to children
- signing the expansion of the Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP), taking care of unfinished business from the last Congress and providing health coverage to an additional four million children
- signing the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, offering significant relief to millions of struggling children and families
Tonight President Obama will tell us how he intends to proceed and build on his momentum with plans to continue to help struggling American families, steady the markets and get us out of this economic crisis.
Watch President Obama’s address tonight at 9:00 p.m. EST.